Friday, June 12, 2009

Back "Home"

I have been in Fort Portal, Uganda this past week (about 300 km West of Kampala nestled in the Rwenzori Mountains). There is much to speak about, however, as I am at an internet cafe I will try to keep my comments brief for now and elaborate when I get back to Kampala tomorrow. But, I thought it appropriate to say a few things while I am still here.

I have spent the majority of my time here between two sites - in Kibiito with Fr. Silvino at the parish and school there, and at the AIDS clinic in Virika with Sr. Kyegote. I have had the opportunity to get a lot of great footage here, as well as some beautiful interviews that I think will serve beautifully as insight into the lives of these projects.

The consistent thing that I feel compelled to speak about here is something a little different than just the focus of the film. Since my arrival, and especially during my time in Fort Portal, I have been consistently moved by the nature of the people I have come into contact with. Needless to say I have met many inspirational and loving people at home in the U.S., however, this is different. The people I am encountering are dealing with immense poverty or illnesses in some of the most difficult to reach and rural areas of the country. Yet, despite the trials they face each day, they perpetually emit an overwhelmingly powerful attitude that quickly becomes infectious. I don't entirely understand how they manage to do this, yet it continues to be true each moment. I enter their village or home and they are constantly thanking me, though I have done nothing and it should be me doing the thanking (which, I am and do my best to thank each of them, though there are many). It is incredibly moving to experience this over and over again, and I don't think I can properly do it justice with written word, spoken word or even film. It has to be experienced... Anyway, my minutes are running out and I must go. More on this soon.

1 comment:

  1. Yosh! That is so awesome. I can't wait to hear your stories and, of course, to see the film. I got your email, and Ash and I are reading your blog. Be safe! Talk soon!

    Love and Mosquito Nets,
    Neal

    ReplyDelete